Pug dogs, the face looks fierce, difficult to approach, but the Pug (also known as the saggy-faced Pug) is very friendly, pleasant, and loved by many people. How to raise Pug dog is not too tricky, but not everyone understands this breed well. let’s go find out with petaddict.net!
Origin of Pug dog
Pug dogs appear in China for a long time and belong to the famous bulldog breed. In the 16th century, the Pug was brought to Europe and gradually became a favorite pet in the British and Dutch Royals.
In 1885, the AKC Association recognized the Pub as a separate breed, and since then, this noble breed has always been at the top of the most popular pet in the world.
Pug dog appearance characteristics
How much an adult Pug dog weighs is a concern of many people. The Pug classifies as a small dog such as a squirrel, poodle, and chihuahua with an adult height and weight of:
- Height: 25-35cm (from shoulder to foot).
- Weight: 6.5 – 10kg.
The Pug body is small but big and firm, also known as a square body. The skeleton is giant. The height from the foot to the shoulder is almost equal to the length from the neck to the buttock. The shoulder bone is wider than the hip bone, looks like a pear.
The Pug has a straight back, a firm, and majestic gait. Their skin is soft, and The four legs are pretty short but straight, and the front legs are slightly larger than the hind legs. The Pug’s thigh muscles are toned, the tail is short, coiled on the back or straight. The more curled-tail dogs, the more beautiful they are.
Many people reveal how to recognize purebred Pug dogs through the following head characteristics: If viewed horizontally, the Pug dog’s head will have an arc, while looking at the front will see their head is round, with many wrinkles stack. Pugs have almost no nose bones.
The Pug dog’s mouth is vast, the jaw bone is large and robust, compared to the upper jaw, the lower jaw is slightly protruding, the teeth are even and sharp. Pug’s eyes are slightly protruding, round, and purebred eye color is dark brown. Pug’s ears are large and always hang down.
Pug dog hair hugs the body is super short, soft, and sheds all year round. Only two colors of the Pug’s coat recognize as golden brown and black, and the rest does not accept as purebred.
Pug dog personality traits
- Kind, peaceful, friendly.
- Smart, nimble.
- Eager to learn, quick to perceive.
- Likes to be pampered and petted.
- Gluttony, lazy.
- Live emotionally, entwined with the owner.
Unlike other bulldogs like Pitbull, French Bull, Pug dog is much gentler and smaller in size, which is why everyone so loves this breed.
How to take care of a Pug dog
Pugs are very lazy to exercise, so owners need to regularly take them out to exercise to avoid obesity. Should let Pug go for a walk 1-2 times a day or play throwing balls, picking up objects, chasing …
If you don’t have time, let Pug play with balls and toys in the house to stimulate movement. Note: Limit for Pug to do heavy exercises because they will have difficulty breathing, convulsions.
Cleaning the folds on the Pug dog’s face
- Dip the cotton pad in warm water and gently wipe away the creases on Pug’s eyes and nose.
- Do not let the cotton swab touch the eyes, nose, mouth, and other parts of the face.
- Do not let the folds get wet, so use cotton wool or a towel to dry them.
- Clean the folds for Pug dogs 3-4 times/week.
How to care for a Pug dog
- Regularly trimming Pug dog’s hair and bathing with specialized shower gel for smooth, shiny hair.
- After bathing, it is necessary to dry the hair so that it does not get wet and has an unpleasant odor.
- Use a Pug comb to remove dead cages and stimulate new hair growth.
Hygiene for Pug
- Bathe Pug at least once a week.
- Clean Pug’s ears with a specialized solution once a week.
- Periodic nail clipping.
- Keep eating and sleeping areas clean at all times.
- Wash dishes or trays after each meal.
- Brush your Pug’s teeth if it smells bad.
Food and nutrition
Pug dogs are easy to raise, but they are also prone to obesity, so do not give Pug too much rice to ensure health. Pug’s every meal must ensure to provide enough:
- 20-25% protein from foods such as chicken, pork, duck eggs, beef…
- 10 -15% standard fat from poultry, cattle…
- Starch, fiber, and vitamins from chopped vegetables, tubers, and fruits mixed into rice and food.
Notes on how to train Pug dogs
- Pugs are very sensitive, so during training, do not scold or raise your voice at them if it is not necessary.
- Pugs can’t play hurdles or sniff for objects like dogs of prey. However, you can also train them further if you like.
- The strength of the Pug breed is not flexible, so it should not force to exercise too hard. In some cases, Pug will have difficulty breathing, vomiting when working too hard.
- In some cases, Pug will have difficulty breathing, vomiting when working too hard.
- Should train Pug from a young age to hear and understand some commands when they grow up.Pug is quite lazy, so it needs to stimulate to burn excess fat and not be obese.