Details of the latest California Rabbit in 2021: The California rabbit is the second most popular meat-producing rabbit breed globally (after the New Zealand rabbit). Let’s find detailed information about this rabbit breed’s origin, shape, behavior, and care with Pet Addict
PetAddict.net – The best place where you can find everything about your pet!
Where Do California Rabbit Come From?
The California Rabbit or simply the Cali Rabbit is a breed of domestic rabbit developed in the 1920s by George West of Southern California. It results from crossbreeding between the Himalayan rabbit and the Chinchilla breed, then crossed with the white New Zealand rabbit for meat and fur purposes. However, the breed did not become popular for at least 15 years after its development. And now, the California rabbit is the second most popular meat-producing rabbit globally and is also a favorite pet.
Appearance Characteristics & Personality of California Rabbit
In general, they are all white, except for the parts such as the ears, the tip of the nose, the legs, and the tail, which have black hair. In rare cases, there are individuals with a blue, smoky color. They have short necks and small heads with erect butterfly-shaped ears. Thick and sturdy feet support a plump body. Rabbit’s eyes are red. When an adult, the weight can reach from 4.5-5kg.
Californians have a calm, playful and friendly temperament, which has made them popular as a pet. But the habit of gnawing everything within reach is a major weakness of the animal.
How to Care for a Californian Rabbit?
What is the Best Habitat for a Rabbit?
– Cage: You can keep your rabbit in a wooden or net cage. The height of the rabbit cage should allow the pet to stand comfortably on its hind legs. The bottom must cover with a thick layer of straw or sawdust. The cage is equipped with a feeder and a drinker. Pet shelters regularly decontaminate with disinfectants. When the weather is dry, the cage should air dry.
– Pit: Rabbits will naturally love the way they house animals in a pit. This method often uses for industrial rabbit farming. To do this, people dig a big pit. The earthen walls reinforce with slate. The floor cover with the same mesh or board. The pit must cover. To avoid the attack of predators, I recommend installing a fence around it. All people have to do is bring food and water for the rabbit. To prevent outbreaks of infectious diseases pits clean periodically.
What Do Californian Rabbit Eat?
The rabbit’s diet should be varied and rich in nutrients. This will help it gain weight quickly. The foods that are suitable for them are:
- Grains, legumes, and oilseeds
- Leaves and branches of allowed plants (ash, maple, linden, fruit trees).
- Herbs (meadow, field, forest). In winter – hay, silage.
- Fruits and vegetables
- Fish or meat meal.
- Vitamin supplements.
Adult rabbits need to feed 2-3 times/day is enough; small rabbits need to feed 5-6 times/day.
Reproduction of Californian Rabbit
Cali rabbit has good fertility, grows quickly. The mating time is from 4.5 months of the first estrus. Reproductive time after 30 days from the date of successful conception. The number of reproductions each birth is 5-7 children, each year produces 5-7 litters. The first month of suckling the baby rabbits, at 3 weeks old, the mother rabbits start to give them some adult food. After 3 months, they can be released from the barn and reach a weight of 2.5 kg – 3 kg and can reach 4.5 – 5 kg/head. After the baby rabbit is 45 days old, it can live independently.
Diseases, Prevention and Treatment for California Rabbit
Rabbits with stroke are susceptible to viral hemorrhagic disease. The disease is accompanied by bloody stools, diarrhea, palpitations, fever. Myxomatosis is considered a rather life-threatening disease for pets. Manifestations of the infection are drooping, swollen ears, and curling of hair around the eyes. Common insects carry this disease.
Diseases such as bacteriuria and coccidiosis can be treated with antibiotics. Precautionary measures that will help avoid tragic events:
- Maintain pet hygiene
- Timely vaccination
- Weekly check-ups
- Quality food
- Regularly disinfect barns
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long do California rabbits live? It can live for between 5 and 10 years when kept as a pet.
How big is a Californian rabbit? weighs between 3.5 – 4.8 kg.
How much does a Californian rabbit cost? The price is $40 per male and $40 per female. If you want them for meat and to breed you should get them from a breeder. These can be $65 – $80 each.
Are Californian rabbits good pets? They make great pets, however, they don’t always like to be held. They are easy to care for and typically have easy-going demeanors. Be sure to keep their nails trimmed to minimize scratching. You can raise them outdoors or indoors.
Where to buy Californian rabbits? You can adopt animals from a shelter or buy them directly from a breeder.
Read more: Rabbit
Hopefully, the knowledge that Petaddict.net has just shared will be useful in taking care of your California rabbit.